Sunday, March 22, 2009

Nothing But The Blood

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.


This is all my hope and peace,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
This is all my righteousness,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Now by this I’ll overcome—
Nothing but the blood of Jesus,
Now by this I’ll reach my home—
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.


I'm not very much of a hymn person myself. I just happened to randomly browse and found that. The above is a selection of 3 stanzas from the hymn "Nothing But The Blood". 3 stanzas that mean so much more than they look at first glance..

Oh that the sacrifice that our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ could be imprinted ever more firmly upon my heart, and all of our hearts.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13)
"You are my friends, if you do the things which I command you" (John 15:14)

To think that God Himself should die for such as us (Hey that's a line from a song!) Warrants some reflection doesn't it? A reflection on our priorities. Have we put other things before our own spiritual welfare? Have we diminished God's part in our lives? I've been guilty of that countless times.

We are called to put off our former ways and conducts, or the old man, to be renewed in the attitude of our minds, and to put on our new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness (Paraphrased from Ephesians 4:20-24)

How do I do that? I guess any number of motivational and inspirational books could offer a hundred pieces of good advice. But I think it all boils down to one thing..
Nothing but the blood of Jesus. For without Him we can do nothing. And learning to trust in God is not exactly 'Learn to Bake in 2 Minutes' or 'Paper Aeroplanes for Dummies'. I read a poem somewhere awhile back. I can't remember all the lines and stuff, but I remember this one:

I asked for strength, that I might overcome,
You gave me weakness, that I would learn to depend on You.

God give me the grace to be able to turn to You anytime and every time.

One particular version of Nothing But The Blood that I like: Juju Song


No comments: